CC130608 Hercules - Epilogue

Report / March 18, 2015 / Project number: CC130608 - C Category

Location: Resolute Bay, Nunavut
Date: 18 March 2015
Status: Investigation Complete

The accident aircraft was a Lockheed Martin CC130J Super Hercules transport aircraft operated by 436 Transport Squadron (436 (T) Sqn) out of 8 Wing, Trenton, Ontario (ON). The crew were flying a mission to Canada’s far north in support of Operation NOREX – an exercise aimed at confirming the military’s ability to operate in the northern environment. The mission was transporting personnel, equipment and supplies.

The accident aircraft with a crew of four carried five pallets and twenty one passengers from 8 Wing, Trenton, ON to Resolute Bay, Nunavut (NU). The flight to Resolute Bay airfield (CYRB) on 18 March 2015 was uneventful and Hercules CC130608 made a successful landing on runway 35T in good weather conditions at 11:01 local (L) time. With only one mid-field taxiway to exit the runway, the crew backtracked in a southerly direction and exited westbound on Alpha taxiway.

The CYRB radio operator directed the crew to park on the northern Polar Shelf apron due to a CC177 Globemaster III which occupied the better portion of the main apron and was scheduled to depart within two hours. Approaching Bravo taxiway which leads to the Polar Shelf apron, the crew asked the CYRB radio operator to confirm the feasibility of taxiing a Hercules aircraft to that location on the airfield. After receiving confirmation from the CYRB radio operator that Hercules and Boeing 737 aircraft had previously taxied to that location on the airfield, the First Officer (FO), who was the Pilot Flying (PF) and occupying the left seat for this leg of the mission, proceeded to steer the Hercules northbound on Bravo taxiway.

Having identified obstacles on the left hand side consisting of light poles and a storage shed, the Aircraft Commander (AC) directedthat the FO taxi on the right side of the taxiway. While taxiing, the radio operator called to report that he believed the aircrafthad struck a light post. The FO then looked out at the left wingtip to see it make contact with the storage shed (a second object) and the aircraft was brought to a stop.

After considering the predicament and confirming that the wingtip was clear of the storage shed, the AC elected to continue taxiing to the Polar Shelf apron where the aircraft was parked and the engines shut down. A preliminary assessment was conducted revealing considerable damage to the outer two feet of the left wingtip. Following this, the crew unloaded their passengers and cargo, terminating the mission.

A full assessment of the damage revealed serious damage (C-Category) to the outer two feet of the left wing. The investigation focused on human and organizational factors.

Date modified: